Friday, October 24, 2008

Auntie Amy's Place

What's my Friday going to be like today? Well, I'm glad you asked! Today I'm going to do something with this...



That, my friends, is a 50 pound bag of wheat - and I've got 5 of them in my garage. I'm going to go get some oxygen packets (100 of them for $7) and I'm going to empty the bags into free buckets that I begged the local Costco to give to me. That way I can clear a space in my garage AND I can store the wheat for several years. If anyone wants to come over for bread, let me know.

I can tell some of you are wondering why in the world I'd have so much wheat and what I'm going to do with it once I get it stored. Well, that's just it, I'm going to STORE it. Along with all of the other cans, bags, boxes and bottles of food upstairs in the unfinished bedroom that is now a pantry. No, I'm not worried about being invaded or that someone's going to tamper with the food supplies. I'm a firm believer in my faith and it's something we've been asked to do so we did it. I guess it's a "just in case" thing. Imagine if you were Dorothy and all of a sudden you were caught in a tornado. You've spun out of control and now your rear end just landed on the Yellow Brick Road and the whole time you're thinking to yourself, "What in the HECK just happened!?!?!" Now, would you only like to have a little wicker basket with a couple of biscuits in it or would you like to walk back into Auntie Em's house (or Auntie Amy's), get a can opener and make yourself some spaghetti for dinner?

It's probably why I'm obsessed with canning apples, peaches, pears, jam, etc. lately. Also why when I find a good deal, especially with all of my coupon psychic abilities, I buy 50 of whatever's on sale. Anyway, I just thought you'd want to know what I'm doing today. Storing wheat. That and making more freaking apple sauce!!! (will it NEVER END???)

P.S. Abbey, Just because I let you watch cartoons in my room in the morning does NOT mean that you can bring a bag of Cheerios with you. I'm tired of waking up and having crumbs stuck to my cheek the next morning. (Never mind which cheek)

5 comments:

Hiller Family said...

I have been pretty obsessed with food storage also. I always tell Darrin it's not fair to our kids if we choose not to be obedient. They will starve and not of a choice in the matter. That lit a fire under both of our bottoms. Ours is slow going, but at least it's going. Good job on being so diligent!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I just did that last Tuesday!!!

Joella Kingsbury said...

You find the best deals!! Thanks for keeping me up to date!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

I hope hope hope I'm just like you when I grow up.

Unknown said...

Clint especially loved how your 50lbs sack of wheat says "Net Wt. 25 lbs" in really big black letters. :)

Don't worry, you totally kick my butt at food storage and all that nonsense.