Monday, July 21, 2008

It Slices, Dices & Foams At The Mouth!!!

First of all, I just want to say that today five hours of my life were stolen from me. FIVE HOURS!!! I got a knock on my door around 10 this morning and this nice lady told me that her company was in the area today and are cleaning the carpets in one of your high traffic areas COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE!!! I was suspicious. After all, nothing's for free right? So I asked her what the catch was. She said that there was no catch and that they just wanted to get their name out to the public so that one day we would call them back if we needed their services. O-kaaayy... So I let her in the door and told her that I'd love it if she'd clean my family room floor for me. She came in and got her box of magic tricks set up and then asked me about my current vacuum cleaner and if I was happy with the job it was doing. *here's the catch, I thought* I told her that we have a central vacuum system and that I'm VERY happy with it. Yeah, she ended up being a Kirby sales lady. Seriously...five hours later, with Ian and Abbey playing with every single attachment she had, she's asking me if I want to spend $2500 on a new vacuum. This vacuum sucks bugs out of your bed, dusts blinds and drapes, finds all of the dirt your old vac left behind AND it is also a carpet cleaner! (All you have to do is buy their outrageously expensive cleaning solution) I told her that I would have to talk to my husband before I spent that kind of money and she kind of scoffed at me and said, "What harm will it do to just get it and tell him about it when he gets home? Sure, he might be mad at you for a couple of hours but then he'll magically see the light and will understand completely because it's that GREAT of a product!!!" Obviously she doesn't understand what it is to have a "partnership" in your marriage. If I'm going to spend $15-$20 I probably won't call Jeff first but $2500 is a completely different story, wouldn't you say? Anyway, she packed up her precious Kirby and huffed out the door. She did leave her card (which happened to be on a spare bit of Hepa-filter she had) and told me that if Jeff decided that he wanted this miracle machine tonight when I talked to him to give her a call. SURE...I'll just do that.

4 comments:

Hiller Family said...

I hate when sales people miss lead you. Kirby I think is one of the worse! Well I'm sorry about your day, but hopefully your carpet turned out okay.

Linda Gibbs said...

Holy Cow!! That long??? Yikes! What a pain. I feel for you.

Joella Kingsbury said...

Wow. That is a long time to listen to a sales pitch. The last time Paul and I watched a kirby demonstration it was on the carpet behind the couch right in front of the door and we never sat down and didn't move further into the house. He thankfully left just as he said he would and we got to keep our box of baking soda. Our neighbors weren't so lucky and were asked to give back their baking soda.

Crystal said...

I had a guy come to my door and offer to clean the carpet in one room and of course I said no. Well, he didn't give up then. He actually started to walk into my house! I put my hand very strongly on his chest to stop him and said "I said NO!" He was taken by surprise and was like "but I just want to show you something." I said "NO!" again and had to basically push him out the door, which I shut in his face and quickly locked. It was during the day so Dustin wasn't home, but luckily my friend was there. She convinced me to call the cops, so we did. I'm not sure what happened to the guy, but I'm sure he won't be back to my neighborhood again!

Good for you for saying no.