Today we had one more contractor come in. *sigh* We're almost done...I hope. This morning at 6:54 a white pickup pulled up to the house and a very blonde, very tan, very young man got out. He was here to prep and then pour our new concrete. He got everything ready to go and then next thing I knew he was sitting in his truck taking a nap. Hmmm...."That must've been pretty hard work for him to already be needing a nap," I thought. That's when I saw the huge cement truck barrel through to our house. He backed the truck up and the kid got out of his pickup to meet the 50-ish guy with the handle bar mustasche. Apparently this is when it got good. The kids decided that they HAD to watch this. They all ran outside (in their pj's) and were ooh-ing and ahh-ing at the expertise required to pour cement. After all, you have to push a button to make it start to come out! Emma decided that she wanted to get up close and personal so she went into the garage and came out with a camp chair. She set it up about 6 feet from where the contractor was pouring the cement and put her elbows on her knees as she leaned forward. Abbey, not to be out done, went and got her own chair. Then Ian had to have a chair too. Poor guy. He was being scrutinized and asked a lot of questions from my brood. He was a pretty good sport and answered all of their questions. My favorite was from Ian.
Ian:Mom! How come HE gets to play in the cement???
Me: Because, Ian, he has special cement boots on. Do YOU have special cement boots? (the contractor was wearing galloshes up to his knees and slopping around in the goo)
Ian: Hey mister! Do you have more boots in your truck that I can wear?
Cement Guy: Sorry, buddy. Not today, I left them at home. Maybe next time.
Me: (thinking to myself) You're planning on comming back "next time"?!?!
Ian made several trips out to the garage throughout the morning to check on our cement workers's progress. The last time he went out there Abbey went with him and they found the contractor smoothing the cement for the final time. I came out just in time to see Abbey with one of his trowels trying to smooth the cement too...sorry guy for messing up your pretty cement work. My builder pays you by the hour, right???
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

2 comments:
funeral, canning, or anything else fun to write about? My blog is rather sad...
Okay I seriously love your stories. Thanks for a laugh.. I am always amazed how contractors can keep the kids so busy.
Post a Comment