Wednesday, July 30, 2008

92 Cents


That's how much I bought all of Emma's school supplies for this year. I have to admit, I'm kind of proud of that. There are about 15 or 16 items included in that price - woo hoo! I took my pencils, rulers and crayons with me when I went to Burley to teach my coupon class and displayed them like a proud parent. Then I sat back and gloated when the other ladies ooo-ed and aaaahhhh-ed at my awesomeness. It's one of the few areas in my life that I feel like one of the "cool kids" from middle school. I understand why they strutted around like they did now - coupons and good deals are my drug of choice.
Now I just have to figure out how to go clothes shopping for Emma AND, because he's starting kindergarten, Ian this year. It was bad enough last year to buy clothes for Emma, now I have to add to it. Emma's reaching the point in her life where she's very aware of what she's wearing and so are the other kids. I don't want her to go to school and feel like an outcast because of the clothes that her nerdy mom bought for her - I want her to have nice clothes that she feels good in. I know it's entirely snobby and materialistic of me...I want her to feel like a million bucks and have a good self esteem. I know, I know, you're muttering under your breath but I can still feel the negative vibes coming through the computer! She ought to feel good about herself because of who she is not because of the pair of jeans she's wearing. I understand that idea, and agree with it, but the other 8 - 9 year old girls in her class haven't quite caught on to that fact yet. And Ian's just entering the elementary school judging system that's run by his fellow 5 year olds. I don't think that it's as important to little boys as it is to girls but I still want him to look nice.
Hmmm. I wonder how much my budget will be this year. I'll have to search the ads and see what I can get for as little as I can. If anyone knows about any good sales, let me know!
P.S. Has anyone noticed yet that Callie has finally entered the blogging world??? Go and visit her, but be nice. She's new to this whole thing and we want to keep her here long enough to realize how great it is.

2 comments:

Hiller Family said...

I totally agree with you about girls and clothes. I think it is important to make them feel confident anyway possible. Well the childrens place was having some faboulous deals. 50% off clearance and print an additional 15% coupon from on line. It is summer stuff but t-shirts and skirts are good all year... Besides I always try to mix some old with new to make my kids wardrobe look larger than it is. Good Luck!

Amy Bahnmiller said...

I shop Costco for Levis jeans 13.99 a pair! They wear forever! JC Penney has a sale right now - buy one thing get another for a buck too... ch-ch-check it out!