Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dokey Dokey Ahh-i-chokey!

Abbey's favorite phrase. You could ask her to do anything and that's how she'll reply. I'm not even sure when or where she picked it up but it's become common place in our home for quite some time now.
Today I asked her to clean her room. She gave me a thumbs up and then said, "Dokey dokey ahh-i-chokey!" (She's combining her r and t) Then she tromped up the stairs. Why can't Emma or Ian have the same cheerfulness when they're sent to do chores, I wonder? Emma and I have had a rough go of it this morning. She's been yelling/whining/crying at me all morning. I'm getting pretty tired of it, to tell the truth, and am wondering what I can do to stop it. I've tried taking away privileges, time outs, extra chores, forced nap times, etc. but nothing seems to be working. Any advice??? I even sat down with her today and had a "real grown up talk" about how I am her mother and that I don't deserve to be spoken to that way. She nods her head like she understands and then is mad and yelling at me less than 5 minutes later.
Ian, on the other hand, is totally willing to do any chore as long as it isn't his room. He'll happily dust, sweep or take out trash any time but when it comes to his room he magically turns into a whimpering mess who doesn't understand a word you say.
I say we take the day off and just have fun for awhile. No more crazy mommy who's obsessed with clean rooms and no more grouchy kids. (I wonder if I can pull it off?)