Second grade. When I was in second grade my biggest worries were what the crazy cafeteria ladies were serving for lunch and when the next recess was. Things have changed! First I have some questions:
1. What kind of a parent names their child Fantasy??? HELLO-O! I mean, that's like naming your kid something like Horace or Juniper...I don't get it.
2. What posesses a parent to teach their kid that violence is a solution to every day problems? I'd like the world to be a better place. Maybe I'm a bit naive or expecting too much. I believe in teaching problem solving skills, kindness and manners. Does the Golden Rule mean NOTHING anymore?
3. When a girl in the second grade starts out with name calling and teasing and then moves to threatening bodily harm, at what point does the teacher FINALLY intervene? Emma's been having problems with a little girl in her class. I'm not sure if there's jealousy involved (she keeps telling Emma that she's trying to be one of the "cool" kids because of the clothes she wears - when did Wal-Mart clothes become cool?) or if Emma just looked at her the wrong way one day. She started by calling her Tomato Head. Is that a notch up from carrot top? Next she started telling her that she couldn't sit at a certain spot during recess time. Today she told Emma she was going to beat her up. It's getting to the point that Emma is taking her frustrations out on me as well as her siblings. She was making up fake illnesses for awhile until I finally cornered her and asked her what the deal was. She confessed that she doesn't like going to school because of this girl. What to do, what to do. I've got a phone call in to the teacher but I find myself wondering at what point do I need to take off my over protective mommy hat and let her learn how to solve her own problems with people? I hadn't called the teacher until I learned about what happened today. She has yet to call me back. I'll let you in on more info as things develop. Any advice? I'd gladly take it.
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

4 comments:
Grace suffered this at the schools in california. I am at the point where self defense classes look pre-eee-eee-ty good right now. If it happens again, or someone dares hit my child, she will at least be ready to defend herself if the public school system failed her. Is it Christ-like... mmm... probably not. But, it's a day and age where the world is ugly, and my kids going to be prepared to make their faces uglier... ha ha ha! PS I tried calling tonight, your daughter answered and said you were home, and then you weren't. I asked to leave a message and she said no... so. I called, hopefully you'll call me back. I have some great news!
So I think you did the right thing. I personally think anytime someone is threatening bodily harm it's time to get involved! I hope the teacher will have some good ideas. I hate that we have to raise are children in such a dangerous place. It takes everything I have to send them to school sometimes. (today a junior high student was stabbed at a fight after school) I cant believe how young it really does start. Good Luck and know your a good mom who should always trust your judgement!
Oooh, my blood is boiling right now. I hate bully children and it makes me fear when Isaac gets that age. I like the first suggestion though. Maybe not a full on self defense class, but teach her how to throw a punch. That sounds so awful, but it might empower Emma. If that gives her some confidence about the situation, I bet the other girl will sense that and back off. Poor Emma. Situations like that can really have lasting effects emotionally. I'm glad you're jumping in now because if Emma did get in a fight, that would really be hard to get over. Ugh...good luck with this and keep us posted. She is too young to deal with this crap!
Well, isn't that a kick in the teeth! I wish this isn't happening to Emma. She is the type that would probably go out of her way to be this girl's friend. Even now! I hope the teachers and recess people are paying attention and are aware of what is going on. I hope Emma knows her real friends and I know you guys have done an awesome job of teaching self-worth, but it has got to be hard for her. In my opinion, if you have a problem with Emma, it's likely YOUR problem, not Emma's. She's a sweetie and needs to be proud of her red hair! Dang it!!
Post a Comment