Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Question For Y'All


It's Saturday and Jeff's out of town again. He was supposed to be home this week but got a phone call on Tuesday afternoon from his CEO letting him know that he was needed in Kansas & to pack his bags because his flight was leaving Wednesday. He won't be home until next Thursday...*sigh*. I usually do pretty well when he has to leave but I kind of go out of whack when it's a last minute change and especially when it's a long trip. Anyway. I know that I'm not the only wife/mother out there who misses her husband because of the work situation. Carolyn's husband works full time and is in school until late at night. Crystal's works all day at his office and then comes home to work until bedtime. Callie's husband teaches school and then coaches several sports. Joella's travels some and then often works through the night upstairs in his office while she and the kids are sleeping downstairs. I think that Linda is the closest to my situation - her husband works in Wyoming for a couple of weeks at a time and then comes home for several days before leaving again. The point is that I understand that my situation is not unique. I guess I'm wondering how you all do it with a smile on your faces? Really, I'd like to know. Yes, the kids can wear on my nerves, yes I'm totally freaked out by the Boogey Man that seems to come to life as soon as I turn the lights out at night. I also find it hard to want to cook anything that doesn't come out of the freezer or a little blue and yellow box (aka Mac & Cheese). I miss him, plain and simple and I can't seem to get myself out of the inevitable funk that settles over me the day after he leaves. We try to keep busy but it seems like as soon as the dust settles and we're back at home and the kids are in bed it creeps up again. HELP! Ideas would be great. Emails are the best, if you have the address. If not a comment is fine as long as it's okay for everyone else to read.

4 comments:

Hiller Family said...

Girlfriend I can RELATE! Darrin doesn't leave town anymore, but a normal week 5:30a.m. – To at least ten p.m. and all day on Saturdays for the most part. I try to simplify and not be super mom. We have pizza night where we put a blanket down and have a picnic in the family room, or maybe sandwiches with soup. I don't think there is an easy way. One thing for sure I pray ALOT! Sorry I am not more help, but I wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is medication helped me cope with Jason being gone several days at a time with the railroad. It was hard, but keeping a level mood and no more paranoia really helped me be a better mommy. That and I kept life as simple as possible. And you can call me anytime sweets! I'll come keep you company or get you laughing on the phone!!

TEAM PROZAC!
LOL

Unknown said...

I don't know how women that have husbands that are gone a lot do it. Thankfully, mine is only gone here and there, not often at all.

But, when he is, I make it a fun time for the girls and me. No cooking ... pizza or eating out. Movie nights and shopping too. But, the best thing is I let the girls sleep with me in the "big bed," and I think that will be a great memory for them.

Linda Gibbs said...

I will email you!