Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Laundry At Midnight


I hate it when my evening takes a surprising twist - and not in a good way. I was going to post something totally different for today but changed my mind when this happened. Last night I was just drifting off to sleep, which is a major feat for me (read my post from Saturday if you don't understand). Then I heard a noise upstairs. (My room is on the main floor and all of the kids sleep upstairs) I looked at the clock, 10:46. Great, I thought, someone needs a drink of water or has to go potty. So I sat up in bed a listened a little harder. "Moooommm!!!" It was a sound of distress...I got up from my bed and tried to quietly holler up the stairs in response so that said child didn't freak out and yell louder, thus waking up the other two sleeping angels. It was Ian who responded, "Can you open my door for me?" Huh? Have his hands stopped working? Did they fall asleep because he was laying on them funny? I ran up the stairs and opened his door. He was standing there with his legs spread apart and his arms wide open. He was covered in half chewed Ramen noodles and some corn. Ew. I looked at him, he looked at me and said, "I puked." Ya think? So we went into the bathroom where he was stripped down and the tub was filled with wonderfully clean water to wash him off. He turned his naked self around to get into the tub and that's when I saw that, not only had the entire front of his pajamas been covered in chewed up noodles, his bare back was also covered. I mean it literally looked like someone had pasted his back in nasty noodle mess.
Anyway...
I got him in the tub and washed up. Don't worry, I did a preliminary wipe down before he got in - no floaties here. The good thing is that there's no fever and his room was very warm so I'm pretty sure that he just got too hot and that's why he blew chunks EVERYWHERE. I left him to soak in the warm water and went into his bedroom to strip his bed down so that I could start a load of laundry. I just want to pause here because I need to say that I'm extremely thankful for a few things. 1.) That I have a huge wash tub in my laundry room so that I could get the muck off of his bedding before placing it in the washer. 2.) That my laundry room is upstairs, and next to Ian's bedroom, so that I didn't have to carry said nastiness further than necessary.
Back to changing sheets. Do any of you have children who sleep on bunk beds? Ian has bunk beds and he chooses to sleep on the top bunk. On a normal day it's an acrobatic trick to just to change sheets. Now imagine trying to tug on the stupid thing to get the far corner off and worrying the whole time that sticky Ramen noodles are going to come flying at you any second. Why do they have to be so stubborn when they're covered in goo? Thankfully Ian decided that the top bunk is no longer for him and that he wants to make the bottom one his new home! He said, "I think I'm allergic to the top bunk and that's why I puked." I got fresh sheets out and started putting them on only to realize that my nose was 2 inches away from noodles that had found a new home on one of the rungs of his ladder. I have a feeling that I'm going to be finding noodles for quite some time now.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

First of all, I am glad I read this BEFORE I ate my breakfast instead of during, like I normally do. Second, I will NEVER look at Ramen noodles the same again.

I hope Ian feels better and the vomiting episode was just a one-time thing and he isn't coming down with anything.

Hiller Family said...

Sorry you had to end your night with puke! Hope he is doing better today, sounds like you have earned a nap.