Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tragedy Averted...Whew!


Oh my. We had a very traumatic event in our family this morning - it's almost too hard to talk about, but I'll try. You see, we (Ian, Abbey & I) rushed out the door this morning to get Ian to the bus stop on time. We got there and realized that we actually had plenty of time before the bus came. The kids did their usual goofing around while they waited and I was sending a text message to a friend. (Don't you love how techno-savvy I am?)
Anyway.
All of a sudden I heard a wail of "Oh NOOO!" from Abbey and Ian burst into tears. I was worried, to say the least, and so rushed to their side to see what had happened. It took a few minutes of coaxing to get out of them what happened. They were so upset that they could hardly talk! *poor babies* I found out that Abbey's new PINK Hello Kitty sunglasses had slipped off of her face while they were inspecting the rain gutter and they were down just low enough that the kids couldn't reach them. Abbey stuck her short chubby arm down through the slits and managed to brush the ear piece with her fingers. Hope flared briefly...but, alas, she just managed to knock the precious sunglasses down into the muck below. Now they were truly lost. We couldn't even see them anymore, let alone reach them. We did not know, however, that our knight in shining armor was sitting on the curb waiting with his little sister for the bus. (He'd been suspended from school for fighting - probably slaying a dragon, I suppose) He stood up, brushed himself off and came toward us with determination in his eye. He leaned down and raised the grate up from the gutter and put his hand down into the nastiness. He lifted his arm up, truimphant, with the sunglasses in his hand! Oh, the bravery of such a self-less soul! We will be forever grateful that our $6 pair of plastic glasses were saved from their terrible fate! Thank you, kind sir, for your self-less act of kindness. We will be forever in your debt!

4 comments:

Amy Bahnmiller said...

What great blogs! :) I love your kids! LOL

Hiller Family said...

What a story! My so glad the glasses were saved, what a hero.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

K that was too funny! I love that story...and he might have been a BAD boy at school, but they always show their true colors when there is a damsel in distress! lol!

amanda said...

I am glad your encounter with the storm drain had a happy ending. Alas, our recent run in didn't end so happily. In fact, we came away with a hurt foot and lost a coloring book and crayons. Luckily Grandma is still in town and has offered to replace the lost book.

Thanks for sharing a great story!