Friday, January 9, 2009

How Long Is Too Long?

There is often a find line between "just right" and "too much", wouldn't you agree? It's like when you're eating, oh say chocolate, for instance. One or two pieces are okay. Maybe even three if the pieces are on the small-ish side. But when you eat that 4th, 5th or 10th one it becomes too much. (for most of us - die hard chocolate fans could probably handle it.) Or like when you set out to exercise because your New Year's Goal is to be able to buckle your seatbelt on the airplane when you go to Europe in a couple of months and so you decide that Anne of Green Gables would be a good distraction. Probably 1/2 hour or an hour of bosom-friend-kindred-spirit-ness is plenty. But when you find yourself ignoring your children, husband and daily housekeeping responsibilites because you got sucked into 12 hours of Green Gables wholesome-ness, you've taken it too far.
My neighbor really got into the Christmas spirit this year. Maybe it's because they wanted to win the neighborhood decorating contest or maybe it's just because they found a really great deal on an inflatable snowman and reindeer...I'm not sure. For whatever reason, they decorated the crap out of their yard. I'm cool with that. I love Christmas - I even decorate my house the day after Thanksgiving because I'm so excited about it. But after a month of red and green I'm usually ready to put my house back in order. I gently put Mr. & Mrs. Claus back into their boxes along with the garland, fake cranberries and strings of twinkle lights. I notice that the neighbors usually do the same things. Even if they're totally lazy and decide that they don't want to take the lights off of the trees or gutters, they at least TURN THEM OFF! Not so with the neighbor on the corner. As I was walking through my living room this evening to close the blinds I noticed that the inflatables are inflated!!! I totally put on my James Bond alter-ego and snuck outside with my camera. Too bad it's dark outside, but this is what the super spy camera picked up. Okay, so it's a crappy picture - use your imagination, okay?


What the helk is that all about? Are they going to leave them up and ON until it's time to mow the lawn? Can I get an AMEN? Hello? Uh...hello?... Yikes. Sorry - is your inflatable snowman still inflated?

3 comments:

Hiller Family said...

I feel your pain about that pain in the butt neighbors who leave Christmas up through July. Good luck getting it down.

Alanya/Ally said...

I personally don't like the inflatables, but I had to put up with it this year. We live in inflatableville!!! Litterally! I counted about 10 just on our small street... and most of those were provided by our next door neighbors. When I gave directions to a friend I told her you can't miss it because of our neighbors lawn... I mean inflatable decor. But as far as the lights being turned off... I'm one of those lazy people. I don't have lights on the house persay, but I do have snowflakes that line our porch that are still on. I know it's time to get rid of the droopy tree and turn off the lights, but I'm busy and I forget till midnight when I read someone's blog! :)

AW Cake! said...

I guess I shouldn't be complaining. After all, I AM the one who started out with pumpkins on the porch for Halloween (not carved) that slowly turned into pumpkins for Thanksgiving and ended up being a pile of pumpkin goo just after Christmas. My only justification is that they were covered in snow...for awhile.... okay, it was just laziness. *hangs her head in shame*