Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Holy COW!


This is Frankie on Saturday morning. He's a big fella and we're so excited because Frankie now has a new home! We've decided to adopt him. I know, it's kind of weird to adopt a cow, right? Well, I figured that since we're in Idaho we should do what other Idahoans do and adopt a cow. At first I thought that we could put Frankie somewhere in the backyard but then I realized that he's just too big and he wouldn't really be comfortable there for very long. So, last night I worked and worked and we now have his new home ready! Frankie even got a MAKE-OVER in the process! Here's his new pad...



Yep, we now have about 400 pounds of yummy Frankie in our freezer AND we butchered it ourselves! Can you believe it? (Me either) There's a farmer in our area that raises steer and he will let you come and buy one from him for about $1 per pound. The deal-hunting freak in me couldn't pass this one up so I jumped right into it with both feet before I realized what it all entailed. We had to kill, skin and gut the cow ourselves and then butcher it a couple of days later. It's a good thing that we have some awesome friends that have strong stomachs because they offered to do the first part for us when they saw us turning a little bit green. But we did go last night and helped to butcher the huge thing. We're talking about 800 pounds of cow to cut up and package! Now my back and feet are sore and I'm thinking that I'm so happy I waited until today to schedule my chiropractor visit. Anyone want to come over for some steak later?

8 comments:

Amy Bahnmiller said...

oh wow... I can't believe you did that... oh dear me - you are indeed brave. poor cow... I hope it was a humane death... I - yeah - my food storage is my front lawn, I don't have the stomach to kill a critter myself... you woman, let me hear you roar!

Goob said...

I would like very much to "adopt" a cow...but there is no way I'm slaughtering it. I'm all about not knowing the face of my food. It doesn't bother me that my food once had a face, but I don't want to have known that face. Except for fish, they don't bother me at all, stare at me all you want, I still think you look like yummy dinner Mr. Mahi.

Unknown said...

LOVE the makeover! How very pioneer-woman of you. If you "adopt" any chickens, I'll come help you. Other than that, you're on your own.

Alanya/Ally said...

Oh my gosh! I laughed out loud when I saw his new home! You are an awesome lady... and amazing might I add. Blood doesn't get me, but I don't think I could actually do that. However, we would love to join you for steaks! We'll bring the side dishes and dessert! :)

Hiller Family said...

Seriously I have a whole new appreciation for you. You are definitely stronger women than me, but we already knew that.

Anonymous said...

HOLY SMOKIN COW!
You totaly rock Amy
*sheri*

Candid Carrie said...

Seriously, I never saw that refrigerator coming. Still laughing.

Haynsy said...

May I steal this story in about a year.

Way to early in the morning to fall off of my chair.

You know if it wasn't Idaho this "new home" thing wouldn't work.

Thanks for being a meat eater. Sorry for the moo cow.