Saturday, January 10, 2009

Confession: I Am A Lurker...

Lurker: /lerk/
1 a: to lie in wait in a place of concealment especially for an evil purpose b: to move furtively or inconspicuously c: to persist in staying
2 a: to be concealed but capable of being discovered ; specifically : to constitute a latent threat b: to lie hidden
3: to read messages on an Internet discussion forum (as a newsgroup or chat room) without contributing
— lurk·er noun

Hmmm... I'm not one of those who "lie in wait in a place of concealment for an evil purpose!" I don't need to go talk to my bishop, do I? I only do it because I'm curious. We've all lurked, right? We've gone to a friend's blog and poked around a little until we've seen someone else's blog listed that looks interesting and then we take a little field trip. I've found some of my favorite blogging friends because I lurk. I visit a couple of times, read a little every day and then I work up the courage to leave *gasp* a comment!
Some days I need to remember how blessed I am to have 3 beautiful monkeys who are healthy or I feel like I just need a good cry so I go here. Other times I need encouragement and want to remember that parenting can be freakin' HILARIOUS so I go visit The Meanest Mom and start counting my blessings that I don't have twins. I never would have met Shelle who taught me lurking etiquette or Crash who taught me how to swear. See? Being a lurker has it's benefits - you gain a whole new education from those you blog with. I now have my blogging friends and my friends in real life. *psst...sometimes I like hanging out with my blogging friends more than my real life friends, but don't tell anyone, k?* I'd like to bear my testimony about blogging and say thank you to all of my cyber friends! I love you all and am thankful that we get to be blogging buddies.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Okay Amy, I too am a lurker! I've looked at your blog 3 times in the last few months since Jen came to live with you! I have to say....I love your creative writing! You make me laugh so hard I need to fart!! Actually, it's probably not creative writing-because it's totally your personality in type & font!! LOVE it!! I miss you making me laugh!! You are too funny!! I'd love to get your email address, so I can send an invite to my private blog!! Or just have Jen be our connection if that's easier!! You're awesome!!!!!!! Have a great weekend! P.S. Love the resolution blog! I give a big AMEN to that one!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

I'm so thankful I could teach you how to swear. It's been a pleasure.

And no one has ever told me that before because I have never cursed in my life. I only curse charmingly in blog life.

ulfirtsu is your verifier word. Now that sounds like a new swear word we could all use.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

YEA...I'm glad you have etiquette because of me!

I use to love lurking too...and still do on many sites! But I also would never have met you without your comment...and that would have been sad! :(

Thanks for the linky love! :)

springrose said...

So I am trying to decide if I fall in the friend categorie or the blogger friend categorie....what to say, what to say..am I offended?, am I flattered? Not sure what group I am in so I can't be either.
So I have to share my irreverent story with you here because hubby monitors what I put on my blog, just in case family might read it...yeah right.. I put crap on there and had to edit it out!! Seriously!! Anyway, so we were at the temple on Friday night and it was SOOO busey, never seen it so busey, that's great! We got there at 5:45 and got the 7pm session. So we go and change and come out and are trying to figure out where we are supposed to go..the chappel, mull around like the other 20 or so people looking like they don't know where to go. So the guy running things, don't know his official title, asked up what session we were in and said to have a seat in the mulling around group. They were being so loud, I have never heard it so loud in the temple! So we sat there and hubby leans over and tells me he feels like we are waiting for a reservation. Then he tells me my parents should have listened to the temple President and accepted a calling to sereve at the temple because then we could have just called them up and told them what session we wanted and they could have "reserved" us two session cards for that time. Hello!! like the temple is now a by reservation only establishment! Then I started getting giddy. So I said "Hamilton, party of two your session is now seating." You know in the intercom voice. Then he said it would be funny if they gave you the little buzzer things that light up to let you know your session was ready! Then in walks some guy from hubbys work, NOT wearing a Tie!!! I was mortified, not just that but with sunglasses on his head, cause you know the sun is so bright at 6:30 in the middle of winter! The guy also desperately needed a hair cut! Not that I am being judgemental! Because I'm NOT..Honest, I'm not!! Ok, stop judgeing me!! Anyway, we had a lovely session. Reguardless of our irreverance before the session. Hope you don't judge me to harshly!! April