Bed time for my children is 7:30 each night. Some of you might think that it's a bit early but it takes my kids a good 30-45 minutes to settle down so, really 7:30 is about right. Tonight I was enjoying my favorite DVR'd show when Emma comes out of her room (which, by the way, had the lights ON). She says, "Mom! I have an emergency! There's something you have to come and see right. now." I got up and tried really hard not to be even a little peeved at her. You see, Emma declares quite a few 'emergencies' because she figures that it'll get her out of trouble if it's an urgent matter. I go into her room and there's a distinct smell of burnt something - I couldn't tell if it was plastic or fabric or just what it was. I asked her why the smell of burning stuff was in her room when she was SUPPOSED to be sleeping? She points to her bed and there's an old baby blanket of hers sitting there and her desk lamp is also on the bed. Apparently she couldn't find a flash light and so decided that she needed to get her lamp out so that she could read under the covers. She wasn't paying attention, however to the heat coming off of the 100 watt bulb and how close it was getting to her woobie. Now we have a new hole in her beloved blankie and crusted-on fabric on the light bulb. You know, I think that we'll take some time out of our 6 hour drive tomorrow to explain the virtues of fire safety with her. What do you think?

P.S. You know, I don't think I'm going to complain EVER AGAIN about not having inspiration for blog topics. At least this gives me a reason to join Candid Carrie today for F X 4. Go check it out.
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

11 comments:
Oh my God -- I would of freaked out! Thank God it didn't catch on fire and spread.
Holy Crap! I would simply say: You are not old enough to be rearranging furniture or moving objects that have electrical cords because you aren't capable of making these decisions. We can revisit this issue in second grade but right now you are not to touch.
Happy Fx4 ... good thing that doesn't stand for a 4 alarm fire!
Carrie
;)
YIKES!! Glad it wasn't a full-blown fire.
Found you through Candid Carrie :)
Seriously kids always keep you on your toes one way or another. Glad everyone is okay. Have fun on your road trip this weekend.
Wow!! How scary!
Yikes! I'd say that was a true emergency.
Yep, that qualifies as an emergency. And, we start our bedtime at 7:30 too. That way, they are asleep by 9.
My new URL is
http://plantingseedsofhappiness.blogspot.com/
I'm not sure if you have to refollow the blog or just change the URL when you manage the blogs you follow. I hope it's not terribly complicated!
We had a similar incident a few months ago...I kept smelling something burning, would get up and investigate, finding nothing. I had it narrowed down to my son's bedroom, kept smelling it. I happened to look up and there was a sock in the light fixture up against the bulb.
Of course, "NOT ME" did it!!
Scary...
Have a great weekend.
Woah - scary!
I just had to stop by and say hello. Saw your comment at "Bayou Bells"...I'm from Idaho too :)
That's not funny, but kinda... and I love the fact that you took a picture for evidence!!!
Kids are cute the way the come up with stuff... although its scary cause something serious could have happened to her...
but creative way to think...
I'm honestly that obsessed with reading also! :)
Hahahahah! I totally did something similar when I was a kid. I put my lovey (a precious moments bunny named Snowball) on top of my lamp because it made her glow. Poor Snowball's bum was burnt to a crisp and I kept it a secret from my mom for a week before my sister told on me. Darn older siblings.
Post a Comment