Saturday we finally had semi-decent weather after several days of rainy gloom. So I decided to get busy. You see, there's an unspoken competition in every neighborhood that no one wants to admit is there. It's the "My yard looks better than your yard" competition. There's always someone who's goal for the summer is to have the best looking yard on the block and when they pull their lawn mower out for the first time each spring the rest of us know it's game time. I was hoping that because the weather had been so crummy lately that the start of the summer games would be held off a little bit...oh no, that was not to be. About a week ago I was sitting contently in my home working on a project when I heard a lawn mower come to life. My next door neighbor had officially started the spring race. For the next week I would feel shame every time I drove into my driveway because my yard looked so shabby next to his. I kept looking out the window hoping for the weather to clear up so that I too could clean up the left over mess from last fall. Finally, FINALLY yesterday it was warm enough to put my grass stained jeans from last year on. 
I marched out the door and started pulling weeds in the front planter. I trimmed the bushes, gave the weird grass plant a haircut. Which, by the way, I'm sure the builder planted it as punishment. "He he he...," they thought, "we should plant this horrific bush so that the homeowner as to spend forever cleaning up the mess that is made every time the bush decides to shed." Do you like the haircut I gave it? Maybe it'll hate me enough that it won't grow back.
Next I had to find someone in the neighborhood stronger than me to wake the lawn mower up from it's deep slumber. I found Bob and he came over to give the beast's chord a good pull. And then another, and another, and another. Finally it roared to life. So I started mowing the front yard. I was going to be lazy, you know. I was just going to mow the front yard and wait for Jeff to come home so that he could mow the rest. Then I decided that it wasn't a very nice thing to do, so I started on the back yard too. One loop around, 142 to go. Halfway through the second loop I was feeling pretty good and was just getting geared up to push through the next hour (I h.a.t.e. to mow the lawn) when I stepped in a little divet in the grass and sprained my ankle. Hmmm...I bleeped a word in my mind and then tried to decide if I would call it bad karma and quit or if I'd finish. Then I decided to keep going because the only thing worse than a shaggy back yard is a shaggy back yard with only 1 1/2 loops that were mowed around the edges. Now there's ice on my ankle and the kids have become my slaves for the last couple of days. Maybe the neighborhood contest every year isn't such a bad thing after all.
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

9 comments:
We are losing that contest big time. Our Christmas lights are still up.
I like the thought that you were mean enough to the bush so that it wouldn't want to grow back. But it will. Why is it that plants we wish would NOT grow back are the most hearty?
And your blog post is a needful reminder that I, too, really ought to get outside and pay attention to my front yard.
Yea...you should go into plant barbering? I think it might be your calling! lol! Good for you, if I should that much enthusiasm my husband would freak!
Good for you! I have one spot in my front yard that grows faster than the rest and it is so long right now, it is bugging me. But unless I want to mow it I wait patiently for Lionel to decide it is time to mow again. Normally it is several weeks into mowing season, not this year! Will it ever be warm enough for me to plant my garden??
You know, I was PSYCHED to see the sun... and then I realized it was lawn mowing season.
ha ha ha ha ha How true. Lucky I live Hawaii where our yards are the size of postage stamps. We just weed wack ours. It takes 10 minutes. And we don't have real grass anyway. It literally is weeds, so weed wacking is totally appropriate.
Love your cute new look. I bet cutest blogs made this templete just for you.
Your verifier says Labledat.
Did you labledat post yet?
You could convert to Arizona yard. Rocks and cacti. Really dramatic neighbors add a different shade of rocks in a pattern that looks like a river or a walkway. Then when the weeds grow in people just take a blow torch out there and burn the weeds....and that's no lie. How's that for yard work?
Good job! I have never actually mowed a lawn in my entire life... I grew up with 7 brothers and that was a "boy's job" according to my mom. And now that I'm married to a guy who actually likes to mow I never have to. I only wish he liked to clean the bathrooms. I hope your ankle feels better and that your kids will still wait on you. :)
Hey, so I went to get my hair cut today and I MAY resemble your shrub...
Post a Comment