
Ian and church sometimes don't mix so well. Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid! It's just that the hour that we're in Sacrament meeting is super long for any kid, let alone a bored 5 year old who went to bed way too late the night before.
We started out the meeting like we always do; I handed him a spiral notebook with a pen so that he could write all that his heart desired. Usually this is enough to keep him entertained for about 30 minutes but yesterday it lasted all of 30 seconds. He was bored, he was tired and nothing anyone did would change that. He started to poke me. Then he told me, in his super whiny voice, that he needed to go home. I told him that we were at church so that we could learn about Heavenly Father and Jesus and that he'd just have to suck it up 'cuz we weren't leaving. Then he started whimpering...his leg was broken. He could feel it. He HAD to go home. Nice try, slick - not gonna happen. Next he told me that his whole body hurt, even his toes. Uh-huh, try another one. So then he decided that he'd go limp and lay on my lap. We do this thing at night where we give each other butterfly kisses before bed time. We let our eyelashes flutter on each other's cheeks and call them butterfly kisses. He loves it. Which is why I thought that that was what he was giving my arm as he laid across it. Until I felt the cool, wet that you feel as water (or spit) is drying on your skin. He'd decided to lick my arm and drool all over it, so I wiped it on his shirt. (Real mature, I know.) I sat him up and handed the notebook back to him. I was just starting to really enjoy the talk that my friend was giving when I look over at Ian to see how he's doing. He's writing on his hand. I snatch the pen away and start to scold him when the lady behind me hands me a baby wipe to help get the ink off. *sigh* OH well, I guess there are a few things I can be thankful for...1)He was MOSTLY quiet during the hour long craziness AND 2)At least he was entertaining the family behind us. We'll just have to work on our reverence and then try again next week.
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

3 comments:
The broken leg excuse is too too funny. And the drool is just gross. I would have wiped it on his shirt too! (not that he cares, of course.)
My little 4 year-old isn't terribly crazy about sacrament meeting either.
And here I thought you were being entertained by my crazy 5 on Sunday during sacrament meeting, that and Tanners great machine gun imitation!!
There have been times that our kids have said they needed to go home. Whined, threw a fit, were horrible...so my husband would take them home. And they would have to spend that whole time in their bedroom on their bed doing nothing. The quickly learned that it was more interesting at church where they could draw or maybe look at a book.
I feel your pain though. And at least he was quiet.
Post a Comment