Every night we read scriptures as a family. We don't read one of the dumb-ed down versions that are out there because we feel like, somehow, there's something missing when we do. I dunno, maybe it's the respect for the Lord or maybe it just makes me work a little bit harder to try to understand what's being taught. Anyway, we've been reading about the 2,000 Stripling Warriors and the exciting adventures they had. (For those of you who haven't read the book of Alma, you're seriously missing out.) So I'd read 4-5 verses and then explain to the kids what was happening and then we'd move on. Emma reads along with me but Ian and Abbey are generally sitting on the couch or floor talking to themselves while playing with some little trinket. I pray that they listen and understand just a little of what's going on, but really have thought that most of it was going over their heads. Until last night at bedtime prayers. This is how Abbey's went:
"Dear Heavenly Father,
Please bless daddy that he'll be safe at the airport (let me interrupt real quick...You see, she says this whether Jeff's out of town or sitting right next to her - it's part of the "I'm gonna say this part EVERY NIGHT" in her prayer) And please bless Jeshus and Heavenly Father that they'll be safe too. And please bless that the Lamanites won't come and get us in the war, and please bless the Easter Bunny that he can bring us candy in our baskets that we can all share. In the name of Jeshus Christ, Amen."
Then she clapped her hands and had a huge grin on her face. "I said a very nice prayer, huh Mommy?"
Yes Abbey. You sure did.
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

2 comments:
That was a very nice prayer. She's too cute.
That is awesome! I'm so glad that you are taking the time to read the actual scriptures with your kids too. I know that it can be slow, and take a lot of time. But gets get far more from it than we could ever believe.
Post a Comment