Yep. We're officially official and I. am. SO. excited! I got the confirmation email yesterday that we've been accepted into the elite society of the mysterious "charter school"... We will be leaving the land of the mediocre and entering (hopefully) a magical place where children are actually challenged and *gasp* held accountable for their academic achievements, or lack there of. I'm seriously doing the happy dance right now - you should join me.
Now we start the placement testing process and then off to shop. They want to test them so that they can make sure that the kids are advancing to the next grade because they actually LEARNED the curriculum, not because they had a birthday, which I like. They also get to wear uniforms! I'm wondering how most people feel about the uniforms? I'm pretty excited because last year, if you'll remember, Emma had problems with Destiny(?) who told her that she was "just trying to be popular" because of the clothes she wore. That we bought at Target. On clearance. Sorry, peeps, I think it's retarded to judge someone based on the clothes their moms bought at Target on clearance. Just sayin'.
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

8 comments:
I hope that the Charter school is everything you want it to be. We have quite a few around here to choose from. I'm actually like our public school and my kids will be staying there but I'm grateful for those Charter schools because they make it so the classes in the public schools are smaller. It's good all around.
As for the uniforms I think it would be nice because the school shopping would be so much simpler.
Congrats that is great! I am an undecided party when it comes to uniforms. I really like the kids expressing themselves through clothing, well most of the time.:)
That's WONDERFUL! I like the idea of uniforms.
My kids attend a magnent school. I'm amazed at how much higher the caliber of students and parents are. The classes are never over crowded. New students and students leaving is a rare occurance. It's very nice. You'll love it.
We are at a charter school. Our experience has been that the discipline hasn't been quite up to our expectations, and the learning, while good, isn't any better than public school. What we LOVE is the uniform. Our son still gets a choice each day...Red, White, Blue, Green, or Maroon shirt, Blue or Khaki shorts or pants.
It takes all the emotion out of dressing each morning, except on Friday's when its Freestyle day.
My opinion on "expressing themselves" is that this forces them to develop talents to express themselves with. They can't decide who they like and don't like based on what they wear, but instead by how they behave.
Charter school hasn't been perfect, but its been better than our neighborhood school had to offer, so there ya go, that's our experience.
I love uniforms! Aleana was in a charter school her first two years of school. Uniforms are easy and has a way of leveling the playing field. I love what Aleana learned. She is a smart kid and by the end of 1st grade she had a 5th grade reading level.
With that being said, I found that the charter school atmosphere wasn't for me. Great values were taught along with the cirriculumn (sp?). However, there was also this vibe put out that "we are better than public schools" kind of thing, like they were a private school. And I think the students themselves had a tendency to pick up on that. The school administration played a part in that, but mostly I noticed it with the parents. Like "my kids are better because they attend this school, and because I put them here I am a better parent". That just really bothered me.
But I didn't pull Aleana out for that. (I would just talk to her and let her know that it was wrong to think you were better than someone else). I actually pulled her out because she didn't make any friends. She was all about learning but found it hard to take a break away from her studies/books. It just became too intense for her. She would come crying because she missed one answer on a test that she studied the night before. She needed to be a kid, and no 1st grader should have to feel that amount of pressure. She is already a perfectionist per her personality, she doesn't need the added stress.
So far, I am pleased with her schooling here. I have heard some comments here and there about how bad the school system is here. We have moved all over with the military and trust me, Idaho schools aren't that bad.
Wahoo! Congrats and stuff! I would love uniforms if only for the fact that I wouldn't have to crush Emily's happiness when she comes out of her room in the morning wearing something even Punky Brewster would say clashes. Enjoy the journey!
Grace is on the wait list for 4th grade at Thomas Jefferson. Her number was something way down there. We have Saturday's lottery at Vision Academy that is the hope that is keeping me alive... *sigh*
Congrats!! Isn't Snake River the pits? I think that's the elementary we're in too, which means I'll be using Todd and Christen's address when Ellie goes to school so she can go to Birch. Charter would be awesome but would probably break the bank for us. I'm sure your kids will like school so much better!
Post a Comment