Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Day of School: Ian's Turn



So Ian wasn't nearly so excited to go as Emma was. He was more interested in the Legos that Jeff had just gotten out. He has afternoon kindergarten and today was an orientation of sorts. Our scheduled time was 2pm and so we went with all of the other kids and parents. As soon as we walked into the building Ian started telling every adult he met that he was a new kindergartener. We made our way to his classroom and said hello and introduced ourselves to every one we met along the way. We came into the classroom and said hello to his teacher, Mrs. Padgett. Ian introduced himself to her and then told her all about his new shoes and clothes and had to show her all of his new school supplies as well.

Of course, we only stayed for an hour, and when it was time for us to go Ian told me that he wasn't done learning yet but that I could go if I wanted to. I told him that today was a special day and that he could be there without me tomorrow - today we had to leave so that we could go and get our traditional "first day of kindergarten milkshake" from McDonald's. That was the deciding factor for him. My little boy is growing up and he's perfectly happy leaving me behind... kind of a sad/happy day.

3 comments:

Linda Gibbs said...

AMEN SISTER! I know the feeling. I should be glad they are excited and want to go, but it's a little sad.

Unknown said...

Awesome picture! Kindergarten is so traumatic... for the parents at least! Enjoy the relative quiet at home.

Ellen said...

He's looking awesome in his outfit too! Good luck Ian!