Monday, June 30, 2008

Hooray for old pantyhose!!!

Yep, you heard me correctly. I am very thankful that I kept that old pair of pantyhose with the run a mile long. Want to know why? We have a little blow up swimming pool in our back yard and the kids LOVE to swim in it. While we are blessed to have irrigation water for our lawns in the summer months it is not very clean and so we don't like to use it for the swimming pool. (It comes out brown.) So when the water in the kid's pool gets too yucky we have to manhandle the stupid thing to empty it. I literally have to have someone help me to tip it over so that I can flood my yard and start with fresh water again. Because we have irrigation water the city dings us if we use too much of our domestic water (i.e. water from the house). I HATE having to refill the pool because I can see the dollar signs as the water leaves the hose. Today the kids wanted to go swimming but there were blades of grass, ants that had sprouted wings, earwigs, etc. floating in the pool and the girls were "grossed out." I tried to explain to them that the poor bugs were hot too and just wanted to cool off for a bit - that didn't go over so well. I wondered how I could skim the pool to get out of having to refill it and then I remembered the old pair of pantyhose that were just sitting in my underwear drawer waiting to be thrown away. So I took two wooden spoons and put them inside the hose and used it to skim the pool. I am a GENIUS! Now the pool water is bug/plant free and the girls are happily swimming. Woo-hoo!!!!

1 comment:

Hiller Family said...

Impressive to say the least! I'm always amazed at what stay home moms come up with to save money... We cover ours with a tarp for that purpose. Way to go!