Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Visitors

Over the last several months Emma's piano teacher, Allie, and I have started to become friends. We've moved from the ackward "Hi..." to chatting about our days and how we're going to decorate for Christmas. Recently Allie built a new house not far from our neighborhood and she took me for a tour after Emma's lesson. It's beautiful. It's HUGE! And she loves it. She told me that she'd never seen my new house (that we've been in for over a year now) and that she wanted to see what it looked like. Right then. If any of you know me, you know that I like my house to be clean when people come over. I have an image to maintain - perfect homemaker! Even if it's not true at least I can make other people BELIEVE it's true. I don't like surprise visitors because they'll be able to see the trail of toothpaste that was left in the sink from the night before or the pair of undies that one of the kids left in the middle of my bedroom floor in their haste to make it to the bus stop in time. She caught us in all of our glory that day. I have to admit that it was a little embarassing and humbling to have someone want to look in all of the nooks and crannies of your home when you weren't prepared.
Anyway, I took Emma to piano lessons Monday and Allie once again requested a visit to the zoo. She wants to see how our Christmas tree looks along with all of the other little baubles that have made it out into the open for the month of December. She also said that she might bring a friend or two...uh....o-kay. So this morning I'm making a last run through the house to make sure that there are no surprises left for me from the last time I ran through looking for surprises. I found a half wet towel along with one sock and a tube of opened toothpaste in the kid's bathroom. I frantically picked up the towel, put the toothpaste away and got a the sock a little wet so that I could scrub out the trail of minty freshness that Ian left behind when he bruhed this morning. I figured that A.) at least he brushed his teeth-YAY! and B.) I had to use the closest thing I could find to clean up the mess and that I could just throw the little sock into the wash. Please know that Clorox will make it's way into the bathroom in the next couple of days - just not today. Besides, I kind of need the minty smell to help with the "fresh factor," right?

Here's a picture of the front room.

6 comments:

Sam the Awesome said...

OH MY GOSH!! youre house looks like a pigsty! i cant believe you can live in that!! ;)

Alanya/Ally said...

Oh, you make me laugh!!! I can't believe you would be embarrassed over a few little things like undies in the master bedroom! :) I've had much, much worse!!! But I won't reveal what it is since your sight is public... I don't want to humiliate myself and have you not want to be my friend anymore! :) Good job on the sparkling and minty fresh house!

Hiller Family said...

Your house looks great! I have the same concerns about having a perfectly clean, fresh smelling house. Darrin actually had to give me a febreeze budget, pathetic I know.

Crystal said...

I was going to say something about your lack of housekeeping while we were there, but I didn't want to hurt your feelings! J/K! I was very festive and I was impressed that you had two trees up and decorated. :)

Ellen said...

The important question is...are the Star Wars ornaments on the tree?

AW Cake! said...

of course Princess Leah has to have a spot front and center...forget that she doesn't match the rest of the tree - she still gets to have her place of honor!!!