Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Hero...Uncle Jerry

Actually, I have two Uncle Jerry's. This week, though, Idaho Uncle Jerry is my hero. In fact, I've sent Idaho Uncle Jerry home with a plate full of treats, he's so great. Sorry Colorado Uncle Jerry. I'd send you home with some yummy treats too if you were here to be my hero of the day. Colorado Uncle Jerry would've been here if A.) I'd shone my distress beacon over his patch of sky and B.)If he'd been brave enough to cross the Wyoming desolation, especially during winter, and come on the 5 year's journey to our house. Seriously, have you ever driven through Wyoming? It's about 6 hours of the most boring and deadly highway out there. I've almost died 5 times. Well, actually only 1 time that I can remember. I'm sure it's because I've blocked those other times from my memory, though. It's the only state I've been in where I was driving 95 mph and the highway patrolman passed me. With his lights off. While drinking a diet coke. (Okay, I made the diet coke thing up - he was drinking a Mountain Dew.)

Anyway...

Back to Idaho Uncle Jerry. You see, he's an electrician and my oven has now fried 2 elements in the last two weeks. The new part has come in and Jeff's in Arkansas for the week so Idaho Uncle Jerry has come over to replace the dumb thing so that I can make snickerdoodles. Only, too bad for me, though. Idaho Uncle Jerry is a great electrician but he's not an appliance repair man. He came over and fiddled with the do-hickey thing and then poked the whatcha-m'call-it but couldn't get them to work. Bummer. How am I supposed to prove my home-making-goddess-self to the world if I can't bake them snickerdoodles? Maybe cocoa-no bake cookies instead??? But, oooohhh!!! Wouldn't it be just wonderful if it was more expensive to fix the stupid glass-topped thing then to replace it??? Know why I hate glass tops? I'm not really prejudice...okay, maybe I am little bit. It's because you can't can on the dumb thing or it'll crack the glass, you can't let certain people cook on the dumb thing because then whatever sauce they're messing up always burns to the top and then you're stuck with a perma-stain because you can't get it cleaned up! Yeah... a new stove would be okay. Here's the perpetrator.



Come to think of it, though, Colorado Uncle Jerry has his hands pretty full. He's got lots of "honey-do's" from my side of the family already - he's such a hero! So thanks Uncle Jerry(s) for all you do for the crazy and inept members of your different families - the world is now a safer place to be in (and soon to bake in) because of you! Love you both!!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It is so great you have such wonderful uncles!!

I miss my gas stove so much. In Michigan we had the choice between gas and electric. Here in my area of Florida it is all electric. I HATE electric. I want gas!! LOL. Although the glass cooktops are so sleek looking I would rather have some good old gas burners.

My mom has a glass cooktop and she has to use special cleaners and special sponges and yadda yadda yadda.

I hope it all works out soon!

Alanya/Ally said...

I know exactly what you mean about Wyoming! You forgot to mention the 60 mile an hour winds!!! We drove that way a couple times, the rest were the opposite direction. I even drive through Utah, down through Provo... and a little further, just to avoid Wyoming.

I have to say, I love my glass top! But I never can anyway... don't even know how.

Good luck with the oven. You're lucky to have such great uncles.

Linda Gibbs said...

Steve is driving thru Wyomoing as we...speak(?) He was is Evanston this afternoon and tonight he is going to Lovell to unload in the morning. YUK! And after the torture of driving thru Nevada yesterday!! I think I may hate driving thru Nevada more than Wyoming!

Hiller Family said...

Sorry to hear that it is giving you so much trouble. I hope it all works out for you.