Monday, February 22, 2010

"OOH! My spleen! I mean my kidney! I mean..."

Those of you who have the joy of raising boys know that you spend a few more minutes in the bathroom every time you go to clean it. Mostly because they're working on their aim, partially because they DON'T aim. Because my son does such a great job of aiming and hitting anything but the intended target, I get first hand knowledge of how much water he is/isn't drinking on a daily basis.
This morning I was pleasantly surprised when it was my turn to "go" by a brilliant orange shade sprinkling the edge of the seat as well as the side of the throne and the back of the wall. (Joy.) Because kidney disease runs in my family, we had a discussion tonight about the importance of drinking lots of water and maybe even some cranberry juice during the day. "But why, Mom?" So I then explained that when you get a bladder infection it might make your pee dark or burn then, if not taken care of, your kidneys will start hurting. The light bulb went on! Suddenly Ian's kidneys are killing him and he's DYING! (note: this sudden increase in pain and discomfort started when he was reminded that it was time to clean his room.) I'm also getting frequent updates on each of my children's comings and goings from the restroom as well as a detailed description as to the shade of their waste. *sigh* Maybe I just should've suggested that we all need to drink more water and left it at that.

1 comment:

Hiller Family said...

Love it my kids are the exact same way, when it comes to sickness. Any excuse not to clean their room or do homework goes a long way..:)