Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Consequences

At some point in all of our lives we've had to learn that there are consequences for our actions. If we study for our math or history test, like we're supposed to, we get a good grade. If we don't, we fail (or at least do really badly). I've always been a fan of teaching consequences to my children. When they're behaving well I praise them and give them high-fives and when they're ornery I try to make sure that the punishment is appropriate.
The oldest monkey has apparently not learned this lesson as well as someone else her age might have. She's the Olympic champion on temper tantrums when it comes time for her to do something that she doesn't want to do. Today? It was piano practice. She was asked to practice first and started to yell that she didn't want want to be first, it wasn't fair, blah, blah, blah. Then there came the crying and hyperventilating. Then the refusal to do anything. Classic melt down. The consequence? She was put in her room to finish the melt down until she was calm enough to talk to. Then we had the talk about consequences and she now understands that it won't be allowed at all... She's stuck in her room until tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll get some peace and quiet for the rest of the night and maybe this will be the last meltdown for awhile.

3 comments:

Just SO said...

We do this with with our kids as well. They have to go to their rooms until they can come out and talk decently. It works wonderfully. I hope it works for you.

I've also been known to throw a tantrum myself so that they can see first hand how they look and how absurd they look when they throw a fit.

Ellen said...

I just envisioned Amy throwing an adult sized fit and it made me giggle!

As a positive reinforcement, my college class says you are doing the right thing mama!!

Joella Kingsbury said...

Tantrums are not fun! I always find consequences do curb them for awhile until they have to be reminded again. You are such a good mom!