Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yellow Death



My husband and I both come from families that struggled when we were younger. Because of this, some of the "classier" things in life were substituted with the no-name brand instead. At the time I didn't realize what I was missing out on. I figured that the punch was supposed to have a watered down taste and that the funky after taste from the mac&cheese was normal. Now, however, my eyes have been opened and my palate has become snobified. My husband is the same way. We've now given up "Flavor-Aid" and replaced it with Kool-Aid. We've done away with Western Family and now have our shelves stocked (not kidding) with Kraft Mac & Cheese. My kids know the difference too. I tried to be sneaky with the cheesy noodles one time because they were on sale and the kids took one bite and then refused to eat it BECAUSE THEY. COULD. TELL. THE. DIFFERENCE!!! I'm screwed. I'm okay with the Kool-Aid thing, because who doesn't love a nice tall glass of cold cherry sweetness running down your parched throat, right? But the yellow death? Come on! All you have to do is throw some cut up hot dogs in it and all of the good flavor disappears anyway! The coupon diva in me is freaking out that I'm paying an extra $0.35 PER BOX just so my kids can have Kraft for lunch. Argh!
What about you? Can you tell the difference between generic and name brand?

6 comments:

Hiller Family said...

I am with your kids the 35 cents is well spent. Some of those knock offs are horrible :(.

Just SO said...

Oh yes we can tell the difference. But my kids are okay with the Western Family Mac and Cheese. Koolaid on the other hand??? Love the Black Cherry.

Sam the Awesome said...

theres a difference?? oh no!

Megan said...

Depends on what it is. We most definitely can tell with the mac&cheese and kool-aid and we also don't substitute those. Most cereals I can tell a difference but I actually prefer the taste in pretty much all of the cheapy bagged cereals. The only things I buy that aren't no-name brand, that I'm actually pretty anal about the taste, are kool-aid, mac & cheese, oreos, Ranch, and bread. I think that's all anyway. Most other things I can tell a difference, but the difference isn't bad or gross.

Unknown said...

We usually buy the Flavorite (oh, sorry, now I guess it's call hi-top or something) brand from Winco, but we don't eat mac and cheese very often. My family is a little strange. We all prefer quiche.

There is quite a difference with what we call ORANGE DEATH (Cheetos). The generic is pretty yucky most of the time.

Heatherlyn said...

sometimes it makes a big difference. sometimes not. I have to admit I think I prefer top raman to mac & cheese. I like mac & cheese from scratch. yum. But the good hot dogs are definitely way better than the generic hot dogs.

I think that if you can afford the .35 and you like it better then it is WORTH IT! Of course, I buy my ice-cream in the little Hagaan Daas tubs so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.