Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I've turned into Karla.


When I was in middle school I would walk every day down the street to my friend's house so that I could mooch a ride to school from her mom. There was always a little chaos at their house, but it was the good kind. They'd be in the middle of eating breakfast, which was ALWAYS something that was actually cooked that morning! The first time I walked down there and rang the bell her mother answered the door in her nightgown with a flowered moo-moo over the top. (I could see the material from said nightgown peeking out at the bottom.) Finally the time would come when Karla would announce that it was time to go so we'd all pile into the maroon minivan with the wood paneling sides. (We traveled in STYLE, let me tell ya.) Before we could pull out of the garage, however, Karla would pull out her Mary Kay lipstick compact thingy and paint some lips on (cuz' no mom would be caught dead going anywhere without her Mary Kay lipstick!). My friend would always suggest that we ride in the back seat because who wanted to be seen with a funky morning-haired, moo-moo wearing lady with bright pink lips, right?

Fast forward almost 20 years.

Now I'm the mom who makes sure her kids get a hot breakfast every morning (the kids get fed at school...it's not technically cheating! Don't judge...), my hair is frantically tossed into a pony tail and we go charging into the garage. Yes, I'm the mom who has her night gown/pajamas on when we leave the garage. I do NOT, however, wear the lipstick or the moo-moo. I just throw a jacket on over the top. Nobody can tell, right? Right?

3 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

And this is why I try to buy cute coordinating pjs, because many mornings it is a choice between the kids being ready for the day and me. And the kids win out. Mom's who wear pjs to drop their kids off are truly dedicated!

Goob said...

I've been known to go without makeup, often. But I just can't bring myself to even go the neighbors in my pj's. In fact, one time we were even SUPPOSED to wear PJ's for bookclub and I just couldn't make myself get in the car in them. I'm actually kind of jealous that you feel free to do that.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

ha ha! I hear ya. Our station wagon had paneling on the sides and I would make my mom drop me off a block before school so as not to be seen with the paneling.