So my sister in law has a new goal! She told me about it a week ago and I'm super excited for her. She announced that she was going to do a half marathon in October. Woo-hoo! Good for her! About 5 seconds later, however, I was cursing her under my breath. This is the conversation that occurred after she told us what she was planning:
Dear Husband: You should do it too!
Me: Um...NO.
DH: Why not? Do it. Just DO IT!
Me: No. I don't even LIKE to exercise, why would I do this?
DH: You know you'll feel good if you do. Come on.
(Keep in mind that he's saying this in front of my SIL and her husband)
Me: I don't want to.
DH: Just think about it.
Me: (shooting dirty looks at him for the rest of the night)
(later that night as I'm just drifting off to sleep...)
DH: You know, you really should consider running this race. You have enough time to train for it.
ME: There's a reason why I have as much padding as I do. I hate HATE to exercise. It's seriously torture for me. IF I'm going to attempt such an impossible feat, it'll be because I want to do it for myself. Not because you're putting the pressure on.
DH: (pause....) So, you're gonna do it?
So for the last week I've been begrudgingly getting on the tamn treadmill and walking and walking and walking. I hate it. Extra padding doesn't like it when you try to displace it - and it's been protesting!
On the positive side, though, I'm sleeping a lot better and I have a bit more energy in the mornings. Maybe the treadmill is good for something besides holding the trays of chocolate from our dipping parties after all.
What about you? Do you wanna displace any extra padding you might have along with me?
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

8 comments:
Diplacing extra padding is the story of my GOsh forsaken LIFE!!! Good for you... have to let us know if you DO IT!!!
Oo oo...come do a race with us! :)
I do!! I am working hard and making a goal to do a marathon (1/2) next summer. I'm only down 7 pounds, but it's 7, and not a gain! Keep me honest and check up on me!
I'm totally in!!! I'm actually running my 2nd half marathon on Saturday and if your sil is running the half in Boise in October that's the one we're doing, too!
I have to tell you that I used to HATE to run!!! I would "forget" my running clothes when I visited my sil so I wouldn't have to run with her. Now, I love it!!! I run with two friends that stay at my pace and we don't feel like we're slowing each other down... and we ARE SLOW. We run at night when are kids are in bed and that has been the best thing since I'm not a morning person in the least.
If you plan on running you need to find yourself a good pair of shoes, I suggest Bandanna Running and Walking on the corner of 5th and Main in Boise. Awesome!!! Then your mind needs to have the right attitude. And then you need to get outside!!! The treadmill is the hamster wheel! I used to think it wasn't that bad until I ran outside and it really does make a huge difference. Last, your husband needs to support you 110% because you will be training a ton and he needs to be willing to watch the kids for you. Is he committed?
Now that I've taken up ALL your space. Good luck! I'm totally here if you want to train with me and my friends. We gladly accept others to join us!!! Email me if you need anything. wynefamily@msn.com
1/2 marathon? Go girl! I just joined Weight Watchers last week. Not just online, but going to the meetings and everything. So far I really like it, and I don't feel alone. I am all for my fluffiness to get flat, however I need alot more time to get in shape for a 1/2 marathon. So my goal is to run, not walk, but RUN the Race for the Cure next year (as it is near and dear to my heart - my mom had it, when it came back the 2nd time, it was terminal.)
After that, I will run a 1/2 marathon. I just need to drop about 50 lbs before I run any amount of distance (used to run 5-8 miles a day...) or my knee will hate me for the rest of my life.
I've started walking... but running? I have too much weight and that's not good on my joints. I have been out walking quit a bit and do have more energy. I'm hoping that some of my extra padding will come off whilst walking. Good luck with your goal!
There are a whole bunch of people training for a half marathon and a marathon. I think ... they are all ... gluttens for punishment. Some people enjoy this. They really get into it. But it takes too long. In my opinion. And it isn't enjoyable. At all. Crazy people. I'm trying to pump myself up to run 3 miles on a regular basis. I think I enjoy NOT moving. I'll probably end up doing the 3 miles several times a week. But a marathon? A half-marathon. That's like a LOT of miles.
But it is probably healthy to work up to. And you'd feel good after accomplishing the goal. And your kids could be all inspired by your good example!
Amy, you should totally do it. I know that it can be hard, especially when you try to only rely on yourself. You need to definitely get an exercise buddy. It really does make a huge difference. I don't think that last year I could have kept up with it with out my sister being there.
Also, if just for the helping with the sleep it is worth it. I stopped for a while and during that time I could not get any sleep. I would go to bed really late and still not be able to sleep for hours.
You can do it Amy. It is soooo worth it. We believe in you.
Post a Comment