Monday, March 2, 2009

Since when did I turn into a blubbering idiot?

Okay, okay, I'm sure that those who know me are thinking to themselves, "This is a new thing? You've always been a blubbering idiot, you idiot!" In some cases this is true. I do cry easily when I'm in a stressful or confrontational situation. It's how I handle the extra adrenaline, I suppose. What I'm talking about are the weird, out-of-the-blue moments that take you completely by surprise. For instance, my friend's mom used to cry every time a stupid Kodak commercial would come on. I would laugh and laugh (along with my friend) because I never understood how a silly, sappy commercial could do that to a person! Well, I've now become that lady. There are moments when I turn into a quivering pile of Jell-O because some Hallmark moment took my breath away.
Example:
Saturday I got up early so that I could have breakfast with some of my friends. I ran a couple of errands on my way home and then decided that two hours was long enough for Jeff to realize that being alone with the kids can be H.A.R.D. when they're super hyped up on Fruit Loops and chocolate milk. (Hey, you don't judge me and I won't judge you...) Anyway, I was on my way home on one of the country roads and there, right in front of me, a little old man pulled away from a stop sign and hit an oncoming car. The other car had a younger family in it and they ended up in the empty farm field on the other side of the intersection. I pulled over and took a second to whip my cell phone out to call 911 before I got out of the car. As I was listening to the phone ring, a second car had pulled over in front of me. The car hadn't even come to a complete stop before the passenger side door flew open and a short, round little lady leapt out and started running. (Are you getting shivers yet?) She ran over to the old man and made sure he was okay and then sped to the other car to make sure that everyone was unharmed there as well. I heard sirens as I was finishing my call - apparently I wasn't the only one alert the dispatcher. As I was driving away I started to tear up. Not because of the older couple, not because I suddenly had an attack of conscience about my pet cow, not even because the smell of the onion fields was still lingering from the last harvest (okay, I'll admit, that's stretching it a little bit). It was because of the sweet, rollie-pollie lady who tore across the road to help complete strangers, with no concern for herself. I love that.
Now, don't y'all want to move over here with me?

3 comments:

Just SO said...

That is very cool. I'm glad that everyone was okay. I would have freaked out if I had seen that.

springrose said...

I wondered what happened!! I was there when they were still cleaning it all up. the family in the red SUV were stilll sitting in the car and a tow truck was backing up to it. I don't know if it was stuck or if it was undriveable!! So scarry, I hope though that I would be that old lady!!

Unknown said...

How scary! I hope no one was seriously hurt. Calling 911 first was the right thing to do. Good job.