Tuesday, March 3, 2009

And I Thought I Could Be The Next Food Network Star...

I like to bake. And I think I'm actually kinda good at it. I can bake about anything if I have the recipe - it's a gift, I know. What I CAN'T do very well is cook normal food. That's half the reason why we eat Mac & Cheese or frozen corn dogs when Jeff's out of town. Okay, that and the fact that it's just easier not to fight with the kids and then end up throwing half of the food away because they refuse to eat it. The other night I made a casserole and Abbey refused to touch it because it had corn in it. She ate all of her applesauce, though.
Anyway, I was in a gourmet mood last night and so I whipped out the apron and went to work. I cooked the first couple of ingredients and things were going smoothly. I added the last little bit to the pan and then put the lid on so that it could simmer for 12-14 minutes, as directed. See? I was following directions! I was doing what I was told to do!!! But, too bad for me, because this is what I found when I came back to the stove.

*sniff* Do you remember my stove before it was subjected to this evil mess? When it was shiny and new? This is what it looked like after I wiped up all of the really liquid-ey goo but before I got the scraper and heavy duty cleaner out.

That does it for me. No more gourmet recipes from now on! My poor stove doesn't deserve to be defiled like this any more. Nope. No sir-ee. No more Hamburger Helper for this girl!

7 comments:

Goob said...

LOL! I was sitting here thinking, that looks suspiciously like boiling cheez-whiz...where's the bacon? she did say gourmet didn't she?

And that picture at the bottom is precisely why I don't love glass-top stoves. (even though I would adore one in place of the electric coil clunker I have right now)

Heatherlyn said...

I can't figure out if my last comment is going to post or not. I think this was such a fun post. I'm glad you thought to take a picture. It's funny! Isn't cleaning the top of any stove a real pain? I'd like a non-stick stove top. Do they make those?

Unknown said...

I hate it when that happens.

springrose said...

Hey I agree with Heatherlyn!! I want a non stick stove top. So now do we just email GE and all the other oven range makers to put in our orders!! If they can put a man or woman on the moon surley they can make it NON STICK!!!
By the way, I don't think Hamberger Helper qualifies as gourmet!! Come on over I'll give ya a few recipes! Just ask Karen, I have a ton!!

Thanks to the keeper of the stars said...

You are a fantastic baker......I still want to take lessons from you! The dinner you brought us was really good too. I think you are a good cook also! My kids only want to eat mac and cheese too. Good thing I give them vitamins to go with it!

Just SO said...

Ha! Hamburger helper is evil.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA Amy my girl....
Don't worry you can keep cooking because hamburger helper isnt gourmet. :)
your a crack up!Cassandra and
I were laughig so hard and could totaly picture you in this latest adventure
when are you coming down to "utopia" for a visit?...after Europe perhaps? :)
*sheri*