Thursday, April 10, 2008

Another Road Trip

We went to visit Jeff's cousin, Carmen, on Sunday. She'd been working hard all weekend so we called her and told her we were bringing dinner! We had a fun visit and toward the end of the evening she asked me what I was doing on Wednesday. I told her that I didn't think I had anything going on & she then told me that her sister's father in law had just passed away and that the funeral was on Wednesday. She really wanted to go but it was a 5 hour drive away and she was nervous about doing the one day round trip on her own. Grandma Wixom said she'd keep the two little ones and Carolyn said she'd keep Emma (which also meant taking her to and from school!) so that we could go. We left Tuesday night and drove 1/2 way and stayed with family and then got up early and drove the rest of the way. The funeral was beautiful. There was a Veteran's Ceremonial Team at the grave side and they even played Taps and did a rifle salute. I've never been to a funeral where they did that - it was very interesting. The ride home was fun. Carmen and I get along very well and so we talked quite a bit and then sang along to all of the '80's music we had. It was great. Thanks to all who helped with kids and to Carmen for giving me a day off from the usual daily grind.

1 comment:

Hiller Family said...

I love a break from the norm! Well I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Every mom deserves a break once in a while.