It's all my mother-in-law's fault. If she hadn't given me the idea of doing it first, I wouldn't have even thought that it was okay to do! But here I am, looking like a brat needlessly. *sigh*
Confession: Hello, my name is Amy and I am a two tree snob. When I first met Jeff he was sixteen years old and it was a couple weeks shy of Christmas time. We went to a school dance, realized that he HATED dances and so went back to his house to hang out for awhile. That's when I was first introduced to the concept of having two trees. At first I thought that they were all a little crazy and that the tree in the family room looked kind of like one that Charlie Brown would be proud of. It was made of plastic and had a string of popcorn and mis-matched ornaments and looked like little brother had the upper hand in decorating it. I found out that Jeff was the main decorator that year and that he LOVED it! His mother had a beautifully decorated real tree with matching ornaments and all white lights nestled cosily in the corner of the front room where all who entered the home would surely "oooh" and "awww" at it's awesomeness.
When I was a kid we never had a home that afforded the room for two trees, I don't think that it was something that my mom would have done anyway. It would only mean one more place for the kids to play and potentially destroy. (I was an... active child, you could say.) Similarly, when Jeff and I got married we really didn't have the room for a second tree. But Jeff was happy because he got to decorate the tree with our meager decorations and that was all that mattered.
Fast forward 10 years....
Now we DO have the room and we've been gifted hand-me-down plastic trees of our own. I don't feel guilty because I didn't kill a tree to satisfy my snobbish tendencies. We have a tree in our front room with white lights and beautiful red, gold, white and clear-ish glass ornaments while upstairs we have another tree proudly displayed in front of the window that is covered with multi-colored lights, snowmen, icicles, ribbons, bows and zoo animals. The kids are happy. Jeff is happy. But most importantly, I am happy that the kids got to decorate their own tree and so they'll leave mine alone. I'll admit, though, that the kids' tree is a little more colorful and festive. Not quite as cold and impersonal as mine is. Maybe I'll have to switch things up for next year?
What about you? Do you have two trees? Are your kids allowed to touch the tree? Does your husband (or wife) get giddy with the anticipation of stringing the lights?
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

4 comments:
What no pictures?? I actually have two trees now. One decorated, one packed away in the box. Lionel thinks I should get rid of it. I'm thinking kid tree in the family room and adult tree in the living room. (If I had a larger house!) So maybe one day I will have the two. Friends of mine growing up always had two as well.
so our topic today is Christmas Trees? Or Holiday confessions? Tomorrow I want to see other uses for pantyhose than legs :)
I decided this year to do two trees. I had never heard of it before, but decided this year I wanted two trees. For exactly the reasons you mentioned...so the kids could have their tree and I could have my tree. So far I am loving it! But, we have live trees, I love the smell. And it makes Christmas seem more Christmas-y...at least in my mind.
Growing up we had two trees. The fake one with the colored lights and mismatched ornaments was in the basement that the kids got to decorate. The pretty real one with white lights and a new "theme" every year went upstairs in the front room.
My kids aren't aloud to touch the tree, but that rule lasts about 20 seconds. From Jarom height down the tree is pretty much undecorated at this point.
We don't even have room in our house for one tree, although I did manage to shove it in the front room and the coffee table, at the moment, is underneath the bar and part of the kitchen table. Great huh?
Post a Comment