
It's that time of year again. It's when parents decide that it's okay to lie to their children. We do this to keep the myth of a fat guy who wears a red suit and plays with elves alive. It's the magic, I suppose, that makes it so fun. The twinkle in their eyes when you talk about him and the fun things he does for children all around the world. But this year? This year I feel like a BIG FAT LIAR. Why? Because my kids are asking more questions and I have to come up with more lies to cover my previous lies.
Here are some of the lies we've told so far...
LIE #1: The reason why some children get the motorized Jeeps, iPods, cell phones, etc. and we don't is because Mom & Dad sat down with the Tooth Fairy and Santa and the Easter Bunny when we first got married and discussed what is okay to give and what isn't. All parents do this and some parents are more flexible than we are.
LIE #2: Santa sent me a letter this year letting me know that he was worried about the kids being put on the naughty list because of the fighting and sassing so he's sending one of his helpers, Mr. Peeps, to be an in-house spy that will report daily to the Big Guy on how they're doing.
LIE #3: Santa has SO MANY presents to wrap that he doesn't wrap any of the ones that come to our house. (They only get one big gift from him every year and we want them to know that it's from him and not us, so we don't wrap it.)
LIE #4: Santa only likes cookies with chocolate in them.
LIE #5: When you stop believing in Santa, he stops bringing presents and lets moms and dads have all the fun.
LIE #6: (My friend told me about this one) Parents have to pay Santa back for all the presents he brings so sometimes he has to scale back depending on how big, or little, dad's bonus check was this year. And NO he doesn't accept payment arrangements.
It's a sick, sick game we're playing right now and I have to figure out when it's okay to finally let my hair down and tell the truth. Will my kids think that it's okay to lie because their mom and dad do during the month of December? Will they accept it with grace (because their friends already spilled the beans to them anyway) and keep the secret for us so it doesn't get spoiled for the younger kids? I don't know. We've decided that we're tired of lying, though, and next year we'll just tell it how it is when Kid #1 asks...what do you think?
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Confession: I'm A Liar.
Posted by
AW Cake!
at
4:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I feel the same way! I feel like a big fat liar! Plus I am tired of all the comercialisim and the what is Santa going to bring and presents, presents, me, me, me! Not enough baby Jesus, Atonement, and Resurection! Wish I had been mean like the family in our ward that told the truth from day one! I thought they were so mean! Now I am thinking they had the right idea!! Yes the family is in our ward now, bet ya can guess who it is!! Wink, wink!
My sister got a great idea from her friend that we used on Emily...
SANTA stands for:
Serve
And
Never
Tell
Anyone
Since the only way we can give Jesus a present on his birthday is service, people came up with the story of Santa so people receiving the service wouldn't ask so many questions. Now that they know, they have to also play Santa and not receive credit for it. It's the best kind of service because you are not looking for anything back from it. Mom and Dad always give toys and things as presents since they already serve their kids in most other ways!
Now that Emily knows, she has to help play Santa and keep the secret for her brother to enjoy. She was heartbroken when Clint told her at first, but a couple of days later she kept grinning and saying, "So the .... was really from YOU!"
"No, it was from Santa." wink wink
"Ya, Mom, I know." winking back
It's just as much fun this year now that she knows and we all still get something from Santa every year.
I'm sharing the same concern. Hopefully we will know when the time is right!
I really need to change the default home page from being your blog. The children have seen your post.
Post a Comment