Friday, December 18, 2009

The First Time

I have lots of Christmas memories and I can remember pretty far back. But the one that is the earliest and most clear was when I was almost 4. I was one of those scaredy cat kids who would go to bed in her own room but would wander down the hall to my Mama's side before the clock struck twelve. Mom had a strict rule about not climbing in bed with her so I'd drag my woobie and pillow with me and scrunch up next to the frame of her mammoth water bed because I felt safe there. Anyway, it was Christmas Eve and I was doing my typical sneaking and had just got settled into my typical spot when I heard a noise. I cocked my ear and tried to see if there was someone in our house but didn't hear anything else. I eventually fell asleep and sometime in the middle of the night I remember someone pulling the covers up over me and tucking them under my chin. I opened my eyes and all I saw were these.

I woke up the next morning sure that I'd seen a Christmas miracle! The Big Guy himself had checked in on me and wanted to make sure that I was warm. I told everyone about it and was believed by some, mocked by others. That was also the Christmas that my mom made a beautiful cloth doll with a pretty Little House On The Prairie dress to go with it. *sigh* That was a good Christmas.
What's your favorite Christmas memory?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love Christmas. I enjoyed every Christmas, but there one that stands out to me because I cried after opening my presents.

My family did our regular tradition of eating sausage egg Mcmuffins and listening to Christmas music. The excitement was as high as it ever was and as we got to opening the presents the excitement started dwindling. I noticed that I did not get as many presents as everyone else got. The big thing for me that year was a stereo and as far as my brain was concerned, that was "all I got."

When we were finished unwrapping the gifts I went upstairs and cried in my room. My mother noticed and came to console me. When she asked what the matter was I explained between my crys that I did not get as many gifts as everyone else got and I didn't even get a CD for my new CD player. My mother felt bad so she went and got some money from her room gave it to me and said that we would go buy a CD very soon.

Yes, that was a pretty pitiful Christmas for me. I think I was between 9 to maybe 12 years old. I was pretty selfish about presents at that time. It makes me feel bad because I made my mother feel bad. But really, I usually love Christmas

Well, anyway, Amy I haven't seen any pictures of the cakes you are making and you have gone through two classes now, haven't you? We need to see pics of your beautiful cakes.