Friday, June 26, 2009

"Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink" (at least, none that you'd WANT to drink!)

I went out into the backyard this afternoon after being worn down by my kids' incessant nagging to get the slip-n-slide put up. "We're hot.." they whined. "It's so bor-ring!" they lamented. "Puh-lease put up the slippery-slide!" they implored. OKAY! Sheesh. I'll admit that all I really wanted was some peace and quiet, so I gave in. I went into the yard and started dragging the big piece of plastic to the designated spot. As I was on all fours trying to blow up the little inflatable thingy at the end I heard my name being called. Startled, I looked up to see my next door neighbor calling to my behind. I quickly straightened up to see what he needed. Apparently the great flood has started. It's time to get your hammers and saws out so that you can start building your boat. There's a gurgle of water coming from underneath my precious pumpkin plant that extends into my neighbor's yard and then out into the street. We had to dig up the plant to rescue it from erosion and a slow, painful death. The reason for the flooding? Gophers. Little furry creatures who's only reason for living is to dig holes in people's gardens so that they'll flood. Stupid, conniving, treacherous gophers.
Alls I can say is, Thank Goodness for the ditch company. They have a zero tolerance policy for renegade gophers. Kirk came out (after two hours of annoying phone calls from me) and promptly stopped the mass exodus of water and also put out traps for the gophers. Who knows, though? Those sneaky rodents might be smarter than the traps that were set and I might have to start building an Arc after all.

2 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

You just need to get a great big garter snake. Put it in that gopher hole and you will have no more problems with gophers ... :) (of course, you might end up with other troubles ...)

Unknown said...

Grrrr! Has your pumpkin survived? I have an extra if you need to replace. I'd keep a BB gun handy just in case you see those suckers out there.