When I was in high school I had a friend named Sarah. We met sometime when we were freshmen and were pretty much connected at the hip for the next four years. We did everything together! She was the goofy, silly friend that I loved to hang out with because she encouraged my inner freak to come out. We had sleep-overs together, ran for student office together, tried to tip cows together and mostly had a good time. If I was in trouble, it was a pretty good chance that Sarah was involved somehow.
My family moved around quite a bit during my life. While I was in high school we still moved around quite a bit but stayed in the same little town and so I was able to stay in the same school and keep my friends. Anyway, we moved into this little white house on Sunset Drive. It was perfect for me because it had large bedrooms (essential when you have to share with your sister) and a pretty big yard that connected to the pasture behind it. Our next door neighbors usually kept to themselves but they had several animals that we could see over our fence. They had horses, dogs, chickens, etc. Well, one Friday night Sarah was staying the night at our house and when we woke up the next morning we noticed that 6 or 7 of the neighbor's chickens were wandering around our front yard! They'd slipped through the wooden slats of the fence and had decided to come check out the bugs in our yard. Sarah bounded down the front steps and started whooping and hollering as she flapped her arms up and down. She chased those poor chickens all around the front yard until she got them all back into their own yard.
Why am I telling this story? Because today I'm wishing that Sarah lived a little closer. You see, my neighbor has some chickens and they've wandered into our yard. I really don't mind because I'm all about them eating the little bugs that live in our grass, but my kids are terrified of them! They're convinced that the little chicks are going to charge them and peck their eyes out. Now they're trapped in the house and are sitting next to the open windows in the kitchen yelling, "BOCK! BOCK! BOCK!" as the chickens walk by them. I am now a hero because I braved the back yard long enough to go out and take this picture of our guests. Maybe they like us for our bugs but I'm thinking it's just because the grass is greener on the other side (well, at least it's LONGER).
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

4 comments:
Corey will cook them up for you if you want. He wants some chickens to put in our backyard. So far I've been pretty strong about that not happening.
Thats to funny! My sisters kids are now scared of her chickens now that they are no longer cute fuzzy little chicks. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they are all ganging up on a chicken that looks exactly like your neighbors chickens. The rest are all brown. My sister finally had to put motor oil or grease on the poor thing to keep the others from pecking it to death! So sad but true, chickens can be cruel animals! They are not just good for eating, but good at being prejudice as well!!
I think chickens are pretty neat. Unless they are mean. The neighbors behind us have a lot of land and they have like 26 chickens. This summer their son is going to collect the eggs and sell them and we'll buy them from him. I like the idea of having chickens.
I think it is so funny that your kids are afraid of them! My kids would be outside chasing them all around! Good luck! It's a fun problem to have.
Now roosters on the other hand ... roosters scare me. As long as you don't have any roosters it will all turn out OK. :)
K that was a cute story! I had two friends like that when I was young!!!
Chickens actually scare me also... They peck and squawk and they kinda freak me out! :)
Post a Comment