Monday, October 5, 2009

Green Tomato Salsa

So...I'm trying to be a good gardener. I planted my very first garden this year and I was quite proud of myself. Except that I went WAY overboard. I planted 30 or 40 (I lost count) green bean plants, 13 tomato plants, 6 cantaloupe, 6 zucchini and 1 pumpkin. We have been happily (some days not so happily) canning, freezing and eating our produce. It's been good to tap into my inner 'Farmer Jane' but now I'm done. I heard from the stinky weather man last week that it was going to frost. (I just assume that he stinks because for the last 10 years the man has had a stuffy nose! Something around him MUST stink and he's the only thing that's always around himself.) Anyways...I made Jeff go outside and de-tomato the tomato plants. Poor guy. He picked about a bushel of green tomatoes and then gave up. There's probably about a bazillion and two more tomatoes out there and they all froze to death last Wednesday night. No worries, I still have a bushel of green tomatoes that are slowly turning. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a very impatient redhead and that having to wait for ANYTHING is torture for me. Kathy, Jeff's awesome co-worker knows this, I think because she sent me the recipe for green tomato salsa. Here it is. You're welcome. (P.S. Thanks Kathy - it's yummy!!!)

Green Tomato Relish aka Chow Chow
12 large green Tomatoes (cored)
(I used about 20 small to med size)
4 - green bell peppers, seeded
4 - medium yellow onions (I used one very large one)
1 - red bell pepper, seeded
1 - tablespoon + 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seed
1 - tablespoon celery seed
2 - cups cider vinegar
2 - cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons kosher salt

Chop the tomatoes and peppers very finely. Either by hand or in small batches in
a food processor. I diced up all my veggies only because I like a chunkier
relish. Put the chopped vegetables in a large pot (heavy bottom non reactive
pot) add the mustard seed, celery seed, vinegar, kosher salt and sugar. Stir
well and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook stirring often and skimming as
needed. ( I did not have to skim off anything) Simmer until the relish/chow chow
cooks down and thickens into a relish, about 2 hours. Turn into hot sterilized
jars and process in a hot water bath.

2 comments:

springrose said...

What no picture??!!

Sherri Harward said...

Ooh, I am going to have to try this one. It sounds good and if your review of it is good than I am way more willing to give it a whirl. Last year I tried a salsa recipe that I found off the internet and it turns out that I still have like 5 jars(and we like eating salsa). I like getting recipes with a stamp of approval from people I know.