Saturday was the youth boat outing. We met all of the teenagers at the church at 10am to pack up and head out to the local lake. ("Local" meaning an hour and fifteen minutes away because the real local lake is a health hazard....none of us wanted to contract e-coli or any of the other diseases that were floating around in the local lake.) So normally the boys and the girls split up while riding anywhere. They like each other (mostly) and I'm sure that some of the girls would really like to have ridden up in the same 15 passenger van as the boys but there seems to be this unspoken taboo about sharing a seat with someone of the opposite sex while on a church outing. Only one girl rode with the boys and I think it's only because she lacks the social understanding of the teenage mind.
Moving along...
We got up to the lake and the first thing I noticed was that there was absolutely NO SHADE. For an albino like me, this presents certain problems. All I could think about were the blisters that were sure to follow and that I sure was grateful that I'd brought my sunscreen. In fact, I became the sunscreen Nazi. No one was allowed to strip down to their swimming suits without being harassed about lathering up. (It's a mom thing.)
We had fun. We splashed, we ate food, we got pulled around the lake by a ridiculously fast boat while hanging on for dear life to the bit of air filled rubber we were sitting on. Good times.
We were asked to wear shoes at all times because there were broken beer bottles littering the ground left by some considerate drunk. So I was wearing my Old Navy flops as I was wandering around and as I was walking around in the water to try to cool off (it was 106 degrees that day!) my flop got hooked on a ginormous rock and broke! Now what? I looked over at our handy-dandy boy scout leader and he said, "Gimme a minute to figure this out." The result?
TA-DA!!!
He McGyver-ed my flop with a bread sack and now I'm the proud owner of a flop with some "bling", as the girls described it.
What do I wear with my new found bling? Something that is bright and cheerful, obviously! Something that makes a statement. Something that people will notice.
Something my husband teases me with, "Hey I know what we can do! You can save us money on the electric bill! We'll just turn the lights off when it's starting to get dark and we'll be able to see just fine by the glow of your face! Bwahahahahahaha!!!" Yeah, he's a real funny guy...
The worst is when people stated the obvious at church the next day. Almost everyone I talked to said the same thing at the beginning of our conversation, "Looks like you got a little sun!" Gee...do ya think?
Must Have Wide Leg Jeans
4 days ago

3 comments:
ow! The flip flop fix was creative!
That is some inventive flip-flop. I would have never thought of that.
hahahahaha oh my dear friend. I always laugh when I read you. :) I think you should keep that scout leader round in any time of dilema cause your flip flop looks MAaaarvolous. *SHERI*
Post a Comment