Friday, April 16, 2010

Picture Day

Ugh. It's picture day again. At our school they want to inflict torture on the parents as often as possible. One of the many ways they accomplish this is to insist on TWO picture days during the school year. The fall picture day is first and then there are retakes a month after that. (For all the kids who had ketchup on their shirts or who forgot to keep their eyes open.) Then they lure us into a sense of security by having us wait for seven months before they decide to spring picture day on us again. Why? Who knows? They say it's so that they can do class pictures but how many of us really remember who that snarky little boy was who sat across the room with the goofy grin and crazy hair? Not me. Frankly, I don't really care either.
That's probably why we don't buy school pictures. That and I swear it's some kind of a racket those school photographers have going to charge the most money possible because they're so good at guilting you into buying your kid's pictures. NOT ME! I see past all of their charades and solemnly refuse to purchase their over priced crappy pictures! We go to the local place and pay $10 for pictures that I get to pick out instead.
Anyway...
Just because I refuse to buy their pics doesn't mean that I can refuse my daughter's doe eyes when she begs me to help her with her hair on picture day. Did I do Ian's hair? Oops...I guess I forgot that this morning. So Emma begs me last night to do her hair for today so that she can look "memorable" for her class pictures. She wants curls. LOTS of curls. So I get her up and we plug in the hot rollers and roll her red, thick locks into them. When it's time to pull them out she looks like Rosanna Danna from SNL way back when. (Here's a picture in case you have no clue who I'm talking about.)
Okay, okay. SO maybe I exaggerate a little bit. It wasn't that bad. But it was C.U.R.L.Y. for sure. We tried headbands, barrettes, bows, nothing worked. Finally we pulled it up into a pony tail, looped it into ringlets and sprayed it down. She looks cute. (Thank goodness, or I'd be the number one most hated mother in the potato country right now.)

1 comment:

Joella Kingsbury said...

The girls and I have given up on hot rollers. Avon has these pillow rollers that are awesome! The kids say they are easy to sleep in and they give the best curls. They remind me of the old movies when rags were used to roll hair and curl it.