Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Chicken Little is a POOR example...

I like Chicken Little. He's a cute little chicken who just wants some attention from his friends and family, that's all. But I have to say, he's a really bad roll model for my kids. We're on spring break and apparently it's time for the kids to break the endless boredom by trying something new.
EXAMPLE:
Yesterday Emma had one of her friends over to play and I thought they were just being typical kids - no major craziness or weird noises coming from them. That's when the phone rings and on the caller ID I see "POLICE" listed.
ME: *GULP* "Hello?"
DISPATCHER: "Mam. We just got a hang up phone call to 911 and are checking to make sure that everything is okay."
ME: *starting to twitch a little* "Uh. No emergency here. I think one of my kids found the telephone. I will speak to them - I'm so sorry."
DISPATCHER: "No problem, Mam. Please make sure that it doesn't happen again."
ME: "Don't worry - it won't."

So I immediately holler at the kids and make them line up in front of me so that I can demand an explanation. When asked who the culprit was, there were instant "not me's" going around until we got to my oldest. The one who is supposed to be the good example! She looked at the ground and mumbled something that sounded like, "mumble mumble mumble..." When asked to repeat herself, she looked up and said that it was her and she wasn't sure why she did it, she was just messing around. Okaaayy.... The friend got sent home and #1 daughter got sent to her room so that I could consult with the head honcho himself. We put our heads together and decided that making the rest of her afternoon miserable was the only way to go. So we went into her room and had "the talk" about what would happen if the police were to come to our house instead of to someone who really needed their help. We then called the dispatcher back and let her lecture for a bit. Finally, we decided that she needed to write a report! (That's our new favorite form of punishment.) Two pages, front and back, were the requirement and she couldn't come out to see daylight until she was done. About 6 hours later she emerged from her hole with a very red face a much more humble little girl. Today she has to read her report to the friend who was participating in her shenanigans so that she too can learn from their combined stupidity.

2 comments:

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Both of my kids have done that. And I should have taught my lesson better, more like you did. I failed miserably- I just shouted at them!

springrose said...

I was begining to wonder if you had permantly moved to where ever your Hubby was working last week!!! #1 daughter did that, but she was 18 months old, so I don't think she did it on purpose. Great punishment! Looks like it worked.